Daniel Cotton Wood

27 Jan 1847 - 9 Jun 1934

Está viendo BillionGraves en Español. Change to English

Daniel Cotton Wood

27 Jan 1847 - 9 Jun 1934
edit Editar registro
photo Agregar imágenes
group_add Agregar familia
description Agregar un recuerdo

Información de la tumba de (27 Jan 1847 - 9 Jun 1934) at Riverside Thomas Cemetery in Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho, United States from BillionGraves
Regístrese para obtener acceso completo al registro de la tumba de Daniel Cotton Wood
Términos y condiciones

Queremos que sepa exactamente cómo funciona nuestro servicio y por qué necesitamos que se registre para permitirle el acceso completo a nuestros registros.

terms and conditions

Permisos de contacto

We’d like to send you special offers and deals exclusive to BillionGraves users to help your family history research. All emails ​include an unsubscribe link. You ​may opt-out at any time.

¡Gracias por registrarse con BillionGraves.com!
Para obtener acceso completo a este registro, verifique su dirección de email abriendo el email de bienvenida que acabamos de enviarle.
Sign up the easy way

Use your facebook account to register with BillionGraves. It will be one less password to remember. You can always add an email and password later.


Información de la vida

Daniel Cotton Wood


Riverside Thomas Cemetery

939-949 State Highway 39
Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho
United States


May 30, 2012


May 28, 2012

Tumbas cercanas

See more nearby graves
Actualizar a BG+

Más información sobre Daniel Cotton ...

Encontramos más registros sobre Daniel Cotton Wood.


Relaciones en la lápida


Relaciones agregadas por usuarios


Tumba de Daniel Cotton


Daniel Cotton Wood está enterrado en el Riverside Thomas Cemetery en la ubicación que se muestra en el mapa a continuación. Esta información de GPS SOLO está disponible en BillionGraves. Nuestra tecnología puede ayudarlo a encontrar la tumba y otros miembros de la familia enterrados cerca.

Descargar la aplicación móvil BillionGraves gratis para iPhone y Android antes de ir al cementerio y le guiará directamente a la tumba.
android Google play phone_iphone App Store



Obituary of Elizabeth Waddoups Wood, "Find a Grave Memorial"

Colaborador: TreeClimber Creado: 1 year antes Actualizado: 1 year antes

Birth: Jun. 28, 1853 Walsgrave on Sowe Warwickshire, England Death: Feb. 28, 1895 Auburn Lincoln County Wyoming, USA Pioneer Women of Faith and Fortitude, Vol. IV, S to Z; Daughters of Utah Pioneers; Page 3432-3433 ELIZABETH WADDOUPS WOOD BIRTHDATE: 28 Jun 1853; Walsgrave on Sowe, England DEATH: 28 Feb 1895; Auburn, Lincoln Co., Wyoming PARENTS: Thomas Waddoups; Elizabeth Porter PIONEER: 1868; Horton Haight Wagon Train SPOUSE: Daniel C. Wood MARRIED: 8 Feb 1869; Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah DEATH SP: 19 Jun 1934; Thomas, Bingham Co., Idaho CHILDREN: Daniel Thomas, 8 Oct 1870 Joseph Waddoups, 4 Oct 1875 William Waddoups, 29 Oct 1876 Franklin Daniel, 14 Apr 1879 Parley Pratt, 20 Aug 1881 died? Elizabeth May, 27 May 1883 Sylvia Irene, 29 Sep 1885 Victoria Evelyn, 24 Oct 1887 Clarence Ray, 11 Jun 1890 (died as a child) Florence Elva, 26 Dec 1891 Child, 28 Feb 1895 buried with Mom Elizabeth was born on June 28, 1853, in Sowe, England. She was the youngest girl and the seventh child of nine. Six boys and three girls. Three boys died as small children while still in England. While in England, Elizabeth's mother joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, soon after, all the family was baptized. The family soon began making arrangements to come to Utah. She came first with a brother Thomas Waddoups and a sister, Mary Waddoups, then they were to send money home so the rest of the family could join them. The accounts of the scribes during the trek west tell of many hardships and successes that were experienced by all the pioneers. There are several items in the journals of Daniel Cotton Wood, who later became her husband, as to the journey and struggles of his assignment as a young man of nineteen, having been sent to help families coming to Utah. When she, Mary Ann and Thomas first got to the valley they stayed in Centerville with family and friends from England who had come earlier. Her father, mother and the rest of the children would come as soon as money was available. At sixteen years of age she married Daniel Cotton Wood age twenty-two, on June 8, 1869 in the Salt Lake Endowment House. Daniel was the son of Daniel Wood and Peninah Shropshire Cotton of Woods Cross, Utah. They had met on the trek west then shortly after he had been called on a mission to the Arizona and Mexican border. Daniel and Elizabeth made their first home in a house built of rock, which stood just east of Woods Cross, Utah, on the Joseph Wood Farm owned by Andrew Anderson. Later they sold out to Cyril Call and bought the Burnham 155 acre farm then later sold to Mr. Baskin. It is now called the Baskin Ranch. During these years in Woods Cross, six children were born to them. Five boys and one girl. Parley died as an infant just two years before Elizabeth May was born. Life was busy with all the care of a small family, and workers to feed, clothing to make, and training of a growing family. She was a very good teacher and kept very active working with the children. Her husband Daniel was the leader of the Wood Family Band that played all over the valley for weddings, dances, and celebrations of all kinds, during the thirteen years they lived there. Histories record many enjoyable times were shared by all those in the area because of the Wood Orchestra and the Wood Choir which was made up of the Wood sons' wives and families. The Wood School House was a place of learning for all the family as well as the community around them. It is recorded the families were taught by Charles Pearson who was paid with an exchange of work hours, or goods for the salary of the teacher and school expenses. Around 1884 they broke up the band even more when they moved to Rockland, Oneida, Idaho where his brother Heber Cotton Wood and his family had already moved. It took many hands working long hours to build the irrigation systems, and planting and harvesting crops. Long hard hours of teamwork were needed for a good harvest. Farming was good there. They were active in the area schools and church activities. Both Daniel c. and Heber C. were very good with the Indians because of the training they received from their mother who was part Cherokee and were able to help establish peace in the area with the Indians and farmers. They stayed there a short time, but were never totally pleased with the area, so they willingly took an opportunity to settle the Star Valley, Wyoming area. This beautiful valley seemed to be heaven in the summer and a fairyland as the leaves turning to gold settled on the valley floor. Becoming too soon packed in a crisp heavy cold blanket of snow during their long winters. That made summer preparations for the long winters vital. Elizabeth taught their family well to store food and weave cloth to sew the clothing needs of the family. Each member of the family realized his responsibility. This proved an asset as her husband was called to a British Mission in early February of 1893 just a few years after arriving in Auburn, Wyoming. She was left with a growing family of nine children ages twenty-two to a five month old little girl named Florence Elva who had been taught to be very self sufficient. Little Clarence Ray, age three, died shortly before his father returned from England. His death was very difficult for Elizabeth and all the family. The promise of life eternal knowing she would see little Clarence Ray and Parley Pratt Wood again made life easier. Early in spring 1894 the family welcomed Daniel home and were truly happy in their little valley home. They enjoyed their family and had such fun together. She had always been very active in teaching. Her church callings were many in Primary, Sunday School and Relief Society. She kept especially busy in things that interested her family. Elizabeth taught her family to love life by her example. She taught them to love and respect others and that animals were also to be treated with kindness and respect. She was a very kind gracious, warm hostess who always had something to feed a stranger and a clean warm bed to sleep in. Her mother had been a Midwife so she learned many skills of health that were taught to her family. Being a wife of a man who loved to colonize had its blessings and challenges. But Elizabeth met them side by side with her husband. She was very faithful and followed the feelings of the spirit of each and every situation. Elizabeth died at the birth of their eleventh child the 28th of February, 1895, and is buried with their child in the Auburn Cemetery, Star Valley, Wyoming. Her unexpected death was very difficult for her husband and their children. Her family was then raised by (Aunt Maggie) Margaret Edwards, the second wife, a wonderful young English convert who Daniel C. had met in England. She came to Wyoming to help with the very difficult task of raising his family. They later left Star Valley moving to Blackfoot, Idaho where their three children were born: Milton, Mary Edna and Andrew. Obituary contributed by Marla Webb OBITUARY NOTES From Deseret Weekly, Volume 50 contents # 448 ELIZABETH WADDOUPS WOOD. Mrs. Elizabeth Waddoups Wood was born June 28, 1853, at Sowe, Warwickshire, England; was baptized March 3, 1860, and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints March 5, 1865; emigrated to Utah with her parents in the year 1868; located at Bountiful, Davis County, Utah. She was married to Daniel C. Wood on Feb. 8, 1869, at the Endowment House, Salt Lake City. Moved from Bountiful to Rockland, Oneida County, Idaho, in company with her family in Jan, I883, and from there to Star Valley, Wyo., in 1809. On Feb. 24, 1895 she gave birth to a girl, which died, and on Feb. 28, 1895, she passed away from this stage of action to a land of rest, as promised to the faithful; for she was faithful and was a pure-hearted wife and mother; she was always happy and cheerful. She leaves a husband, four sons and four daughters to mourn her loss. She has buried two boys and one girl. The funeral services of Sister Wood were held at Auburn, March 2, 1895, presided over by Bishop Hemon Hyde. Elder A. V. Call was the first speaker. He had been acquainted with the departed sister perhaps longer than any one present except her father and brother; too much could not be said in her praise and eulogy. She was a true Saint. We believe as a people in the resurrection. Our sister has but passed to another sphere to there continue her labors. He prayed that the Lord would bless the bereaved family and comfort and cheer them for life's struggle. Elder W. W. Burton was the next speaker, and also offered words of consolation and instruction. Bishop J. C. Dewey then addressed the meeting in a similar strain, citing the last words of Sister Wood, "Father, Thy will be done." Elder Thomas Waddoups, of Bountiful, brother of the departed sister, also addressed the meeting, acknowledging the hand of the Lord in His providences. Elder George Osmond, president of the Stake, read from the Book of Mormon (Alma, 40th chapter) of death and of the resurrection of the body of men. He referred to the many virtues of the deceased, and said he knew she died the death of the righteous. He urged those present to emulate her example of faithfulness and awaken to their duties. Bishop Hemon Hyde endorsed the remarks of the previous speaker. He said Sister Wood was indeed a good counselor—a mother to old and young. The services were then brought to a close.— Family links: Parents: Thomas Waddoups (1816 - 1900) Elizabeth Porter Waddoups (1816 - 1884) Spouse: Daniel Cotton Wood (1847 - 1934) Children: Daniel Thomas Wood (1870 - 1959)* Infant Daughter Wood (1872 - 1872)* Joseph Waddoups Wood (1875 - 1959)* William Waddoups Wood (1876 - 1917)* Franklin Daniel Wood (1879 - 1968)* Parley Pratt Wood (1881 - 1893)* Elizabeth May Wood Parrish (1883 - 1939)* Sylvia Irene Wood Hansen (1885 - 1976)* Victoria Evelyn Wood Hodson (1887 - 1963)* Clarence Ray Wood (1890 - 1893)* Florence Elva Wood Sorenson (1891 - 1960)* Baby Wood (1895 - 1895)* *Calculated relationship Burial: Auburn Cemetery Auburn Lincoln County Wyoming, USA Created by: Renae Burgess Linn Record added: Dec 30, 2009 Find A Grave Memorial# 4615553

Danial Thomas Wood

Colaborador: TreeClimber Creado: 1 year antes Actualizado: 1 year antes

I was born October 8, 1870, at Bountiful, Utah, son of Danial Cotton Wood and Elizabeth Waddoups. On June 13, 1883 at the age of thirteen, I accompanied my parents to Rockland, Idaho. I helped my father on his farm. It may of 1899 with the family I moved to Lanes Creek, Idaho where we fed cattle for H.S. Wooly and Company. In 1890 our family moved into Star Valley and settled what is now Auburn. When the Valley was surveyed, I used my homestead right and there built a home. On October 24, 1894 I took Susan May Walton as my wife. We were married in the Logan Temple, at Logan, Utah. Within a year after my marriage my mother died leaving nine children. Two years later my Father and his second wife and children moved to Blackfoot, Idaho. I stayed and finished my home on the homestead and have lived in this home all my married life. Where Susan and I have reared all of our thirteen children except two twin boys who were buried in childhood. My children are all married and have families. All of them with the exception of two have been to the temple and have been sealed to their families. At the present time I have nine living children (two grown children, my oldest daughter and also my oldest son have passed away, both leaving families). I have 44 living grandchildren and 17 great grandchildren. I acted as secretary of the first stake MIA organization of the Star Valley Stake, acting in this position until I was sustained ward clerk for Auburn ward. On November 16, 1902, I was called to go to the Emery Stake in Utah to serve as a missionary for four months to help organize MIA organizations. I left my wife and four children to car for themselves. I returned home on March 9, 1903 and on March 11, a new son came to bless our home. I was released from ward clerk and set apart as second counselor to Bishop Heaman Hyde with Hyrun D. Clark as First counselor. Later I was set apart as first counselor with Chester Sessions as Second counselor. On March 26, 1911, I was called to go to the Southern States as a missionary for two years. I left my wife and eight children. My oldest so being only 12 years old. I labored in North Carolina conference. I had been in the mission field for four months when I was set apart as conference president in which position I served for the remainder of my mission. I returned to my family and home on April 10, 1913. In June, 1913, I was ordained and set apart as Bishop of the Auburn Ward, Star Valley Stake of Zion. I acted in this capacity for fifteen years. Due to ill health I was honorable released from this position on November 19, 1928. Then I was called to act as a member of the High Council of the Star valley Stake for a short time. I am now 77 years old and in fairly good health. February of 1948

Daniel Cotton Wood Jr.

Colaborador: TreeClimber Creado: 1 year antes Actualizado: 1 year antes

Daniel C. Wood, Jr. the son of Daniel and Penninah Cotton Wood Born in Pottawamie Co. Iowa, at “Winter Quarters,” on the 27th of Jan. 1847, died in West Blackfoot, Idaho, Sunday evening, June 10, 1934, after a long illness of cancer. Margaret Ann Edwards Wood, his wife, and the following children survive: Milton and Andrew sons of Margaret, who live on the old homestead of Blackfoot; Daniel T. in Star Valley, Wyo.; Joseph in Soda Springs; Sylvia Irene Hansen and Florence Elva Sorenson, Wyo. Elizabeth May Parrish, Franklin D., Victoria Evelyn Hodson of Blackfoot; 82 grandchildren, and 44 great grandchildren survive. Daniel was only one year old when his parents crossed the plains and was ill most of the way. His father after entering the Salt Lake Valley in Aug. of 48, came to Bountiful and settle in West Bountiful, where Daniel was raised to manhood. What schooling he had, was very meager, for his father educated the children at home, hiring a private teacher. The first one Daniel remembered was Charles Pearson. As a lad, Daniel was his father’s herd boy and then the herding grounds were south to Becks Hot Springs, and east in the hills. Daniel was a lover of horses and when a celebration was held, Daniel was chosen to drive the horses which would be decorated up with tasses and bunting. His father had the finest family carriage in the country, holding as many persons as an ordinary wagon of today, and Daniel felt very happy when he drove four to six horses hitched to it. In the year 1869, when Daniel was 22 years old, the Church chose him among many others, to go to Omaha with a team and wagon also a span of mules, to bring emigrant and provisions to the Salt Lake Valley. It was o the trip that he became acquainted with Elizabeth Waddoups for she along with her brother and sister were on their way to the Salt Lake Valley form England. They were Thomas and Mary Waddoups. Daniel and Elizabeth Waddoups were married June 8, 1869, in the Old Endowment House, in Salt Lake City, Utah and from this union ten children were born. He was a man who loved the colonizing of new places, and made friends where ever he went. The first home he built was the rock house which now stands just east of Woods Cross, owned by Andrew Anderson, on the Joseph Wood farm. Danil later sold out to Cyril Call and bought the Burnham farm and after a few years sold this 155 acre farm to Mr. Baskin and the place has been called the “Baskin Ranch” ever since. The family moved to Rockland, where his brother Heber had located some time before. This did not altogether please Daniel, and he, after a year of so’s stay, sold to Henry Houtz, and moved his family into Star Valley. It was a while in this place that he left for a mission to Great Britain, in the year 1893 on February 14th leaving his wife and nine children. While on his mission, Daniel made the acquaintance of Margaret Ann Edwards, whom he afterwards married for his wife Elizabeth died two years after his return, in 1895, and was buried in Star Valley, Wyo. Three children were born to this union; Milton, Andrew and Mary Edna. Daniel helped in the building of the Salt Lake Temple and was present when the corner stone and cap stone were laid, also when it was dedicated– a privilege he deemed worthy of mention many times. It was also his joy to be present in the Salt Lake Tabernacle, when President Heber C. Kimball predicted “that food stuff and clothing would be bought in the valley of Salt Lake cheaper than in the states within a very short time.” He says this came true, for when Johnson’s army was discharged by the government all of their belonging were sold so cheap that it astounded the pioneers themselves. Daniel served a short mission to Arizona in 1873, in company with Captian Horten Haight and the object of their mission was to teach the Indians how to farm and cultivate the soil. Bishop Round was sent to report the condition of the soil and as it was not as thought to be the Elders were only there seven or eight months. He was a member of the Mormon Battalion with Lot Smith as Captain. The head quarters were at Farmington, Utah, and the field for practice was down on the Jordan River, were Johnson’s army had camped. They were later discharged, as the government was uneasy, because they were not under its control. When the Utah Central Railway was laid in 1869 through is father’s farm from whom “Woods Cross” was named, Daniel got the contract to get all of the ties for the road, from Harvey Perkins on the north of Bountiful to Ephraim Hatch’s on the south and this took over 700 tons of timber. He cut, hewed and sized each tie himself, getting the timber from Mill Creek canyon in Bountiful and every tie was accepted and he got 50 cents a tie. He was present when the road was finished and was among the number how had a free ride to Ogden and back with a fine dinner at Ogden to finish the day. This was in 1870. The Bountiful tabernacle which still stands as a monument to the noble pioneers, Daniel also helped to build and was present when it was dedicated by president Brigham Young. In the year 1906 Daniel moved his family to West Blackfoot where he bought an 80 acre farm where he was living at the time of his death, which meant that he had lived to the ripe old age of 87. Funeral services were held in the Thomas ward meeting house at 3 o’clock p.m. The building he helped to build, for he moved into that locality shortly after the ward was organized. Services were conducted by Bishop P.M. Dance, assisted by Brother Erwin Evans. Inez W. Evans, a niece read a sketch of his life, and the funeral ceremony was preached by Mr. Royal M. Jepson of Blackfoot. The Musical numbers were “Come Weary Soul,” “My Task” and Resignation,” all rendered by Mr. And Mrs. David Watt. The interment was in the Tomas Ward Cemetery, in Blackfoot, Idaho. Joseph C. Wood, his only loving brother dedicated the grave and his grandsons acted as pallbearers.

Daniel C. Wood

Colaborador: TreeClimber Creado: 1 year antes Actualizado: 1 year antes

Daniel C. Wood I was born in Council Bluff, Iowa, Jan. 27, 1847, the son of Daniel Wood and Peninah Cotton. After ten years became members of L.D.S. Church through the direct teaching of the Prophet Joseph Smith. After they accepted the gospel, he took his first wife, Mary Snider, to Nauvoo Temple and was married according to the laws of the church, then the same day he took the second wife Peninah Cotton, and married her. My mother was the second of seven wives. I am one of a family of forty three children. Joseph Smith was proud of my father and spoke of him as being one of the most honest, upright men in the country. When Brigham Young made up the first train of pioneers to come to Utah in 1847, father was anxious to come but couldn’t dispose of his property, so had to wait until the next spring. We landed in Salt Lake on the 14th of August in 1848. Father and Mr. Simons came up to the place that is now Woods Cross and staked out the land. They opened up the first farms north of Salt Lake City. I remember riding the old plowbeam made by my father and pulled by two yoke of cattle to plow the first furrow this side of Salt Lake. There was no sage brush where father located, but the land was covered with bunch grass. On this dry and desolate land we started to make our living and build our home. As the years went by and my father took other wives and his family increased he built his own church and school other wives and his family increased he built his own church and school house in which to educate his children. They also had their own cemetery. I seemed to be rather a favorite of my father for every time he wanted something special he called on me. Every year teams were sent back to the plains to help other settlers into the country. About 1865 a yoke of cattle coming across the plains got tender footed and had to be left behind near Park City, on Silver Creek Ranch. My father was asked to see that they were sent for. So father came to me and told me to go. I was 16 years old. I saddled my horse and started early in the morning through Salt Lake, up Emigration Canyon, over the divide and down in Parley’s Canyon and the Silver Creek country. I arrived at the ranch and found the cattle, then went to stay with some friends, George Pace and Amos Atkins. This was my first night away from home and I was rather homesick, but everything went fine. I took the cattle home safely the next day. My second experience in staying away from home came in 1868 when my father was asked to furnish a driver to go back to Omaha to bring in immigrants. Father asked me to go, and though not very anxious I consented. We started on the long hard journey the first part of April. Two trains were made up of about 75 wagons each ---the ox train and the mule train. I was in the mule train with Horton Hale of Bountiful as our captain. The beginning of our trip was pleasant and everything went fine until we had gone thru Echo Canyon and were going thru the South Pass toward Evanston, Wyoming, when one day our captain saw a band of several hundred Indians following us. For three days and nights they followed us. We became very uneasy. Our captain must have been worried for he instructed any of us who wished to do so to write home. So I wrote to father, told him that the Indians were on the war path and asked him to pray for us that the Indians might be turned away. Within the next few days the Indians retreated and none of our band were harmed. I later found out that father and the rest of the saints had prayed very earnestly for us, and I believe that the Indians retreated in answer to their prayers. We continued on our journey to the North Platte River, which we had to cross. The captain always made a habit of crossing the river as soon as he came to it, but as the side on which we were on was grassy meadow land, and the other was barren and rough, we decided to camp and cross on the morning. As the day faded away, we could see clouds in the sky miles away but there was no storm so we spent a peaceful night. The next morning we awoke with much regret, the river had risen so much that we didn’t dare to cross. For three long weeks we waited for the river to go down. The summer was passing so fast that the captain decided to make a ford and trust in the Lord to help us safely across. Five men on horses explored the river and decided on what they thought was the safest place to cross. Our next stop was at Lee’s Ferry which we reached the afternoon of the July 24th, 1874. It took our outfit three days to cross the Colorado River on a ferry. We had to pay $2.50 for single teams and $3.50 fro four horse teams. As it was a holiday we all donated grub and Mrs. Lee, and her small son cooked us a big dinner. The following incident shows in what strange ways old acquaintances meet. Not many years ago my son Andrew and I were camped on the Blackfoot river 12 miles north of Soda Sprints. As we were cooking dinner we saw a young man about 16, fishing in a nearby river. I sent Andrew to ask him to come and eat with us. He accepted. While we were eating he related to us that he lived in Burley, but was up here herding sheep with his father. When we told him we were on our way to Blackfoot he said they were camped right on our way home and invited us to come and stay all night. We went and while talking after supper I discovered that the boy’s father was one of the boys who helped his mother cook that 24th of July dinner for us at Lee’s Ferry. He remembered the incident very well. While spending my boyhood days at Bountiful, my best pal was Irie Hatch. He was always curious about the Indians and vowed that someday he would learn their language. When he grew up he married Many Pace, daughter of Ed Pace. A short time after the marriage Mandy died. Six months later Irie was called by Pres. Young to go and labor among the Indians and if possible to live with them the rest of his life to teach them our ways and religion. He did as he was bade, married tow Indian maidens and has some fine children. He had been with the Indians 15 years when we started on our trip. Pres. Young sent him word to meet us at the Colorado River and to with us as an interpreter. We met him a few days after leaving Lee’s ferry. From here to the rest of the trip he acted as a guide and interpreter for us and we were very successful in our labors. After filling our mission I returned to Bountiful and when 22, I was married to Elizabeth Waddoups whose family I helped to move across the plains. We were married in an old endowment house before the temple was built. We lived in Woods Cross until Elizabeth, our 6th child, and 1st girl was 2 years old. We then moved to Rockland, Idaho, where we stayed for five years then lived in Star Valley for 7 years. While here I was called on a mission to England. Shortly after returning in 1894 my wife died and a few years later I married Margaret Ann Edwards, who came from England. We moved to Blackfoot, where I expect to spend the remaining years of my life. He died at Thomas, June 9, 1934, and was buried in the Thomas Cemetery.

Daniel Cotton Wood

Colaborador: TreeClimber Creado: 1 year antes Actualizado: 1 year antes

LIFE SKETCH OF DANIEL COTTON WOOD Daniel Cotton Wood, the eldest child of seven, is the son of Daniel and Peninah Cotton Wood. He was born in Pottawattamie Co., Iowa, at “Winter Quarters.” on the 27th of January 1847, where the Saints were camped prior to crossing the plains with Brigham Young. As a child, Daniel was not strong, and was only fifteen months old when his parents along with the second company left for the Salt Lake Valley. He caused his mother great anxiety all along the trail. The Company left in early April of 1847, and landed in the Salt Lake Valley on August 14th 1848. That same fall Daniel’s father along with Perrigreen Sessions, and James Simons moved the families to Bountiful. After a while the family moved down in the western part of Bountiful, now known as West Bountiful where Daniel was raised to manhood. It was his task as a small boy to herd the cattle and oxen on the bottom lands south and west of the farm. Then the old herd lands ran south as far as Becks Hot Springs and East to the mountains. On the old Jordan River bottoms barefooted, he occasionally went in swimming for a change with the other boys of the neighborhood. How interesting it was to hear him tell about his first remembered pants and shirt, spun and woven by his dear mother, from her own sheep. It was Daniel’s task to help make molasses, for his father was the first man to make molasses in this valley. The fun the youngsters would have making molasses candy. The first home Daniel remembered was an old adobe house. Later his father built a four roomed house, two rooms up stairs and two down. In one of these upstairs rooms Daniel’s father held family meetings. Later the public was invited to attend. The family boasted of a choir and Daniel was a member of it. Soon after there was a string orchestra organized, and all players were brothers. Daniel played the base vile. This attraction seemed to bring the crowds from all parts, for the main amusement among the young folks was dancing and could they dance! Sometimes they would dance all night. The tickets were vegetables or other produce used in place of money. It was great fun to see young men bringing a large squash or half-bushel of potatoes under his arm, with his young lady on the other arm coming to the dance at Daniel Wood’s home. As Daniel got older he took to the violin. Wonderful times were had by all as those “Wood Brothers” played for the dances. Daniel’s father held meetings in this room, and at Christmas times the family was in conference, making things right and all indifferences understood, all fasting in prayer, after which the whole family united in feasting, and the usual musical entertaining together. As the family enlarged, Daniels father later added two rooms on each end of their home, using the large center room for a meeting house, there they had large bell, which was used to call the family together. Family plays were given and Daniel always took a prominent part. The only school he ever went to was in this room, where a private teacher was hired. Charles Pearson, a young man from England was the teacher. Emma Ellis, a young lady who immigrated here for the Gospel, taught for a while, and then Daniel’s father married her. He also adopted Charles Pearson, and Charles was the family scribe. Daniel was a lover of animals, especially horses. His father prided himself on keeping good horses. When a celebration or parade was held, they would use their horses and Daniel was chosen to drive the team. Daniel’s father had the finest family buggy in the entire county. This could almost be called a wagon, and was used for many occasions, especially when the Saints met for celebrations and parades. The 4th and the 24th of July meant a real Jubilee each year for all of the Mormon People. How proud Daniel would feel when he would be the one chosen to drive the team. The harness was decorated with colored rings, and the horses with plooms and bunting. When Daniel was 22, in the year 1868 he was chosen by the Church, to drive three mules and a horse across the plains to Omaha to bring Emigrants back. Edward Thomas Sr. furnished two mules, Anson Call provided a wagon and one mule, and Joseph Noble sent the horse, and Daniel put the team of mules on as leads. On the way back the wagons were full with provisions, and the saints walked. Members of the William Waddoups family were among the group of emigrants. There were Thomas, Elizabeth, and Mary Ann, children of William Thomas and Elizabeth Porter Waddoups, who were on their way from Warwickshire England. The trip became very hard and wearisome, and Daniel would let the women folks ride whenever possible. It was in this way that he became intimate with Miss Elizabeth Waddoups, who was then a sweet promising young lady, 18, who became his wife. Daniel was in the Tabernacle when Heber C. Kimball prophesied, “that the Saints would buy provisions cheaper in Salt Lake than in New Your City within a given time, and that they were then more than 3,000 miles from the nearest city.” Truly he saw that fulfilled. What an experience it was, when Johnson’s army came in to molest the peace and homes of the Saints. Daniel was then a young man, and remembered with interest all that went on when the Saints were called to go to the Provo Bottoms for protection against this army, it was the duty of all to leave everything and go, and if needs be, for those left to guard the homes, to set fire to the homes, rather than let them be taken over by the Army. Brother Philo Dibble, lived in Springville, and being a dear friend of the Wood Family, he sent word for Daniel and all of his family to come and stay with them, which they did. Before going Daniel helped his father to plant grain and corn. He remembered so vividly how President Young promised the Saints, that if they would be obedient, and plant their crops, they would not be harmed, and they were not. Several trips were made by him and his father and brother John, back to Bountiful, to look after the crops and care for things. They would drive a team and wagon each and take food and provisions back to the families as his father then had several wives with children. On the fourth and last trip for provisions, as they were driving into Salt Lake City, the Army could be seen marching down from Emigration Canyon, “The Old Mormon Trail”. President Young ordered them to march down to the Jordon Bottoms, and there camp. They did as he told them. There they camped for over a year, and then President Young ordered the army to move up to “Old Fort Hall”, on the hills, where they could have more room. Daniel Cotton saw the prophecy fulfilled, for not long after that, orders came from Washington, for the Johnson’s Army to be discharged, and to where they pleased and then the provisions, implements, and clothing was sold dirt cheap. He remembered his father buying a horse worth $200.00 for $5.00, and a four hitch wagon in good condition for $0.50. The rest of the saints around bought other things as cheap as the articles his father had. Daniel remembered Captain John Smith well for he lived at the Wood home for over a year after the army was discharged. He was taught the Gospel, and before he left, John joined the L.D.S. Church. Daniel was a member of the Mormon Battalion, with Lot Smith as Captain. The headquarters were at Farmington Utah, and the field for practice was down on the Jordan River where Johnson’s Army had camped. These men were later discharged, as the Government was uneasy because they were not under their control. When the Corner Stone of the Temple in Salt Lake was laid Daniel was present, and it was his privilege to haul rock and timber for its construction. His father furnished a team of oxen and wagon each year for others to use in the hauling, besides putting in a great deal of time himself. When the cap stone was laid, and the Temple was dedicated, Daniel was present on that occasion. He mentioned the experiences pertaining to the building and construction of that Holy edifice with joy. It was a joy to hear him tell of his own experiences connected with it. In 1869, Brigham Young and others laid plans to build the Utah Central Railway from Ogden to Salt Lake City. It was the plans to have the track run on a straight line running north and south. This meant that it would run across the west end of Daniel’s father’s farm. It was late in the fall when Brigham Young and his son Joseph drove up in a large buggy to arrange for the buying of the land from Daniel’s father, the track to furlough the tree covered lower half of the Wood farm. Daniel got the contract from Joseph Young to furnish ties from Harvey Perkins on the North and Ephraim Hatch on the south. He hewed timbers himself and hauled them all from Mill Creek Canyon, and not one tie was defective. This took over 10 tons of timbers. The road was commenced in 1870, in early spring. He got $0.50 a tie. Late in the fall of “69”, Daniels Father was called to go to Canada to visit his parents, and get Genealogy Data. He took Daniels brother Peter along to act as recorder. Daniel took them up to the mouth of Weber Canyon where there was a station to take the train from there. This meant that Daniel Jr. was to take his fathers’ place in proving food stuff and wood to burn while his father was gone, for which he did for all of the families his father had. He had five wives then and each one had a family. In the fall of 1870, the railroad was finished, and William Muir influenced the manager to put the station up in the Wood field toward the home, which meant that it was in the center of Daniel Wood’s Field. That fall he came home from Canada, and of course a rough ride home. When the conductor announced, that they were near Woods Cross, Father stood up and announced, Cross, yes, and real cross too”. It has been called that ever since, the station and freight docks and post office was moved from the center of the field to the street on the south at President Brigham Young’s request, where they are now standing. Daniel remembered with interest when the railroad was all finished, for everyone in the vicinity had a free ride from Salt Lake to Ogden and return including a fine dinner in Ogden. It was the joy of everyone living in Bountiful and Woods Cross to assist in the building of the Bountiful Tabernacle. Daniel along with his father and older brothers assisted in the building of this wonderful edifice. He was present when it was dedicated. Daniel remembers Brigham Young coming up in his beautiful carriage, body guards, and 15- Calvary men who camped on the block while the services were held. There was a large brass band in attendance, and the day was long to be remembered by all present. President Young returned after with his soldiers. In the Old Endowment House in the year 1869, June 8th, Daniel married Elizabeth Waddoups, the daughter of Thomas Waddoups and Elizabeth Porter. They had a wonderful wedding supper and dance in the Wood hall. The “Dell Burnham Band” played, and a large crowd was in attendance, a time long to be remembered. They lived for three years with his father occupying the north rooms of the large house. His brother John and wife had used these rooms prior to his marriage; but John’s wife died just prior to the marriage. During this time Daniel was solely dependent upon the counsel of his father, both having the same purse, and all shared alike with not a discord, nor jar. The Endowment House was in the Northwest corner of the Temple Square. In 1873, Daniel was given five acres of land just east of the Woods Cross Station, where he built a four roomed rock house, assisted by Mr. Thomas Harrison, and this house still stands, as a monument to their fine workmanship. After a short time Daniel sold his home and land to Syrulis Call, and bought the “Old Burnham Farm”, located in the North West bottom lands of the town. He paid $3,000 for this large 155 acre farm, and sold the five acres for $1,500. They now had six children, Daniel T., Joseph W., William W., Franklin D., Parley P., and Elizabeth, and to see out the move meant a real job; but Elizabeth was willing to take the chance, even if it did mean that she would be separated from all of her relatives. It might be fitting here to say that there never was a more humble, sweet, willing, always to think of herself last, and faithful mother, and wife than Elizabeth. To know her was to love and adore her forever. God bless her memory. Daniel was the leader of the Wood Family Band that played all over the valley for weddings, special occasions and dances. Histories record many fun times that they enjoyed as the Woods Orchestra and Wood’s choir, whose members were Daniel Wood’s Sons and their wives and families, played at different events. Daniel Cotton Wood played with the Orchestra for the 13 years that they lived there. Around 1884 the Woods Music group was disbanded as some of the boys moved away, one being Daniel C. and his family. They moved to Rockland, Oneida, Idaho where his brother Heber Cotton and his family had already moved to. It was hard work bringing in the irrigation system for farming of the land. Daniel C. and his brother Heber C. were both good with the Indians. They had been taught by their mother who was part Cherokee and they were able to establish peace with the Indians in that area. They stayed in Idaho for a short time but decided to move on to a better opportunity in Star Valley Wyoming. This beautiful valley seemed like heaven. They enjoyed beautiful summers and beautiful colorful autumns. The winters though were long and cold, and they experienced much snow. They all had to prepare for the long winters to survive. Elizabeth was a wonderful homemaker. She stored food, wove cloth to make clothes for her family and taught her children how to each take responsibility to make the family run smoothly. In February of 1893 Daniel C. was called to go to the British mission. Because of Elizabeth and Daniel C.’s training they were able to make it even though they had just a few years early arrived in Wyoming. Elizabeth was left with nine children ranging from ages twenty-two to 5 months old. Their little three year old, Clarence Ray died shortly before his father returned home from his mission and this caused much sadness. This was very difficult for the whole family especially Elizabeth. The Gospel of Jesus Christ with its promise of seeing our loved ones again because of the blessings of the temple ordinances saw Daniel C. and Elizabeth through. In the spring of 1894 Daniel C. returned home happy to be with his precious family again. They enjoyed being together at last. They enjoyed each other and had many fun times together. Daniel C. loved Elizabeth and her gentle ways. She was a lot like his mother. She truly supported him in his love to colonize. On 28th of February 1895, Elizabeth died giving birth to their eleventh child and was buried with their child in the Auburn Cemetery, in Star Valley Wyoming. Her death was unexpected and was very difficult for Daniel C. and his family. Daniel C. married Margaret Edwards a wonderful young English convert who Daniel C. had met in England. She had the difficult task of raising a large family. They later moved from Star Valley Wyoming and moved to Blackfoot Idaho. This is where all three of their children were born. Three children were born to Daniel C. and Margaret --Milton E., Andrew E., and Mary Edna. There children all settled on the farm near their parents. Mary Edna after marrying and having seven children, died, leaving them to the care of her mother, and Daniel C. This sketch was written in 1934, up to date you can find Daniel at home, a bit crippled up with rheumatism; but is able to do his own milking, and cares for his farm animals, at the age of 87 years. It was a joy to interview him on the old farm of the old times, and the pioneer life he remembers so well. It was on one of these evenings, that he told of going to Arizona on April 14, 1873, with Horton Hait as Captain, with about 150 other men and was gone over seven months. Bishop Roundy was sent down to see how things were going, and found that the country was not quite as it was thought to be, and ordered the pioneers come back. Their important mission was to teach the Navaho and Apache Indians how to farm. When Daniel was out herding and wanted to rest, he would lay down on the ground with his ear next to the ground, and he could tell when his herd was wandering around, and almost how far away they were. This would be of no use to us today, as we have so many automobiles and airplanes to make a noise. Death came to Daniel on Sunday evening in 1934, of cancer after several months’ illness. Funeral services were held in the Thomas Ward meeting house. This building he helped to build, doing most of the rough carpenter work. He moved into this ward soon after it was organized in 1906. The services were conducted under the supervision of Bishop P. B. Dance. Solos were rendered by Mr. and Mrs. David Watt, accompanied by Mrs. Parkenson, all of Blackfoot. The solos were "Come Weary Soul", "My Task", and “Resignation." Julias Nork opened and the benediction was given by Bro. Parkenson, all of Blackfoot. Inez w. Evens (a niece of the deceased), gave a sketch of Daniels life, and Brother Royal M. Jeppson preached the funeral sermon. He commented on the life of Daniel, and said that he was the first man to bring a potato digger into their valley. Said how everyone loved Daniel, and he seemed to love to colonize, and build towns, cultivate new soil, and watch it develop. Daniel was the eldest member of the High Priests Quorum in that Stake. Brother Jeppson depicted his life as that of Granite, like the Holy Temple was built, for the Saints knew nothing of cement then, and how perfectly they could hew each a perfect stone to fit in place forever. Said he seemed to love to help in building up the country rather than hold positions, not the polished type; but the sturdy honorable builders of the soil, and be thankful for such a Granite character of the church, which saw it grow from a wilderness, and blossom like rose. Brother Evans made a few remarks, quoting "Wadsworth in "Our spirit has else where to go, and felt like when we touch the electric buttons the mechanism of the human brain will be touched by God and we will hear and see, when Brother Evans said that Brother Wood had the habit of putting his hand on his shoulder whenever they met, and would say, "Are you trying to be good"? He said that meant a lot to him as a growing man, for he could never forget the impression that Daniel had on him for good. He was buried in the Thomas Cemetery and Joseph C. Wood; an only living brother dedicated the grave. The funeral was at two p.m. on Wednesday June 13th 1934. All of his children were present except Florence Elvia Sorenson, and family. He leaves 82 grandchildren, and 44 great grandchildren. Author unknown, some revisions were made by Janet Cutler


Colaborador: TreeClimber Creado: 1 year antes Actualizado: 1 year antes

History of the WOOD BROTHERS STRING ORCHESTRA The First Home Orchestra of Utah The WOOD ORCHESTRA was organized in 1865 at Session's Settlement, which is now Woods Cross. Daniel C. Wood was the leader, who also played the cello. Heber Cotton Wood played the violin. George Cotton Wood, then age 11 years, played also the violin. James Grace Wood played the second violin. Peter Cotton Wood played the flute. Edwin Wood played the banjo, and Joseph Cotton Wood, who at this time was nine years of age, played the tambourine. The first school house at which the Wood Orchestra played for dances was located just a block and a half below the South Junior High School on the south side of the street (4th North). They lighted the hall with homemade candles which were fastened along the wall with three nails; two to hold them together and the other to hold them away from the wall, thus giving light and being safe from fire. The candles were replaced three or four times of a night as the dance often lasted until morning. The dances were special occasions only being held on holidays such as: July 4th and 24th, Harvest or Thanksgiving festival, Christmas holidays, New Years, Valentine, Spring Festival, and perhaps weddings. They were always made a grand occasion. The hall was decorated to suit the particular event. Many traveled great distances by horse and wagon and many times brought small children and babies as old and young attended, leaving no one to care for the children. So they always brought refreshments for the evening. During intermissions there was often a tap dance by Joseph C. Wood or a vocal solo by Adelaide Ridges Wood, wife of George C. Wood, who accompanied herself on the guitar as she sang. Two of her favorite songs were "Always Do As People Say You Should" by Victor Herbert, and “There Came To My Window”. Percella and Jane Garrot sang and Adelaide accompanied them on the guitar. There were also several other family groups that participate in various ways of entertainment. The children were always provided for with blankets, quilts and pillows. Beds were made on chairs and benches. As the children would go to sleep they were put in a made bed. They brought their own milk and food for the children. Many dances were held in the homes of pioneers. Some of the homes were Daniel C. Wood, Perigrene Sessions, James Eldridge, James Marshall, Edwin Pace, Earnest Fisher, William Winegar and others. After the first year Edwin Wood and James Grace Wood dropped out, as both moved to the old Sandwich, which is now Syracuse, Utah, leaving George, Heber, Peter, Joseph and Daniel. These five played together for about eight years. At this time Joseph started to play the cello. They played for all entertainment requiring music and made a speciality of playing the Grand Ball Music, which consisted of waltzes, schottische, polkas, quadrilles, both the waltz and plain as well as the "French Four, and Susan Ann. They always memorized their music. They played such as “Beautiful Blue Danube”, “Turkey in the Straw”, “Fishers Horn Pipe”, “Irish Wash Woman”, and the “Scottish Real", or commonly known as the polygamy dance. Many times George, Peter and Heber would lead out with a composition which they composed with the others playing harmony parts. They were often asked to repeat the numbers, especially the waltzes, they had played at former dances. Sometimes they could not as they had not written down a single note. However, Heber and George had written a number of waltzes and plain quadrilles. As there were no dance halls in this part of the country, nor in Davis, nor Weber county and no theater buildings, the entertainment was held in churches, school houses and private homes. There were dances, dramatic clubs, illustrated lectures and home parties of various kinds which requested music at which the Wood Orchestra was always present and gladly played, many times without pay. They played for the lecture entertainment, which was taken all through the country by the late Philo Dibble, who labored with the Prophet Joseph Smith and knew him personally very well. The entertainment consisted of paintings on canvas of events in the life of the Prophet Joseph Smith. When each picture was unrolled and shown, Bro. Dibble gave an explanation of it. Between the pictures, the Wood orchestra entertained, fitting the music to the pictures. Many times Bro. Dibble played with the Wood orchestra playing the snare and bass drums, as Bro. Dibble had been a drummer in the Fife and Drum Band in the Nauvoo Legion. The entertainment was known as the Dibble Illustrated Lectures on early Church History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The Wood Orchestra played many years together all through the Salt lake Valley for various occasions. They were first paid with produce, such as grain, potatoes, molasses or even meat, and pumpkins, which were produced by the pioneers, and by those attending. Later they received three dollars for an evenings entertainment. Peter went to Mexico to live, and Daniel C. moved to Star Valley, Wyoming. About ten years later Heber went to live in Rockland, Idaho. Heber Cotton Wood organized a family orchestra in Rockland, Idaho and also a band in Wyoming. This left George and Joseph the two remaining Wood Brothers of the original Wood Orchestra. Joseph had taken to also playing the three string bass viola two years before and at this time they invited Heber Parking, violinist, and William Brown, flutist, to play with them. These four continued to play together for about twelve years. "Joseph and George continued to play together for family gatherings until their death," quoted Josephine Wood Naylor, Joseph's daughter. The Wood orchestra played together over forty-five years. Written by Naomi Wood Salter daughter of George C. & Adelaide Ridges Wood. and Josephine Wood Naylor daughter of Joseph Wood.

Línea de tiempo de vida de Daniel Cotton Wood

Daniel Cotton Wood nació el 27 Jan 1847
Daniel Cotton Wood tenía 13 años cuando Charles Darwin publishes On the Origin of Species. Charles Robert Darwin, was an English naturalist, geologist and biologist, best known for his contributions to the science of evolution. He established that all species of life have descended over time from common ancestors and, in a joint publication with Alfred Russel Wallace, introduced his scientific theory that this branching pattern of evolution resulted from a process that he called natural selection, in which the struggle for existence has a similar effect to the artificial selection involved in selective breeding.
Daniel Cotton Wood tenía 14 años cuando Abraham Lincoln is elected as the 16th President of United States. Abraham Lincoln was an American statesman and lawyer who served as the 16th President of the United States from March 1861 until his assassination in April 1865. Lincoln led the United States through the American Civil War—its bloodiest war and perhaps its greatest moral, constitutional, and political crisis. In doing so, he preserved the Union, abolished slavery, strengthened the federal government, and modernized the economy.
Daniel Cotton Wood tenía 28 años cuando Winston Churchill, English colonel, journalist, and politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1965) Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill was a British politician, army officer, and writer, who was Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. As Prime Minister, Churchill led Britain to victory in the Second World War. Churchill represented five constituencies during his career as Member of Parliament (MP). Ideologically an economic liberal and British imperialist, he began and ended his parliamentary career as a member of the Conservative Party, which he led from 1940 to 1955, but for twenty years from 1904 he was a prominent member of the Liberal Party.
Daniel Cotton Wood tenía 38 años cuando Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain is published in the United States. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a novel by Mark Twain, first published in the United Kingdom in December 1884 and in the United States in February 1885. Commonly named among the Great American Novels, the work is among the first in major American literature to be written throughout in vernacular English, characterized by local color regionalism. It is told in the first person by Huckleberry "Huck" Finn, the narrator of two other Twain novels and a friend of Tom Sawyer. It is a direct sequel to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.
Daniel Cotton Wood tenía 52 años cuando Spanish–American War: The Treaty of Paris is signed, officially ending the conflict. The Spanish–American War was fought between the United States and Spain in 1898. Hostilities began in the aftermath of the internal explosion of the USS Maine in Havana Harbor in Cuba, leading to US intervention in the Cuban War of Independence. American acquisition of Spain's Pacific possessions led to its involvement in the Philippine Revolution and ultimately in the Philippine–American War.
Daniel Cotton Wood tenía 62 años cuando Ford puts the Model T car on the market at a price of US$825. Ford Motor Company is an American multinational automaker headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan, a suburb of Detroit. It was founded by Henry Ford and incorporated on June 16, 1903. The company sells automobiles and commercial vehicles under the Ford brand and most luxury cars under the Lincoln brand. Ford also owns Brazilian SUV manufacturer Troller, an 8% stake in Aston Martin of the United Kingdom, and a 49% stake in Jiangling Motors of China. It also has joint-ventures in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, and Russia. The company is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is controlled by the Ford family; they have minority ownership but the majority of the voting power.
Daniel Cotton Wood tenía 65 años cuando The British passenger liner RMS Titanic sinks in the North Atlantic at 2:20 a.m., two hours and forty minutes after hitting an iceberg. Only 710 of 2,227 passengers and crew on board survive. RMS Titanic was a British passenger liner that sank in the North Atlantic Ocean in the early hours of 15 April 1912, after colliding with an iceberg during its maiden voyage from Southampton to New York City. There were an estimated 2,224 passengers and crew aboard, and more than 1,500 died, making it one of the deadliest commercial peacetime maritime disasters in modern history. RMS Titanic was the largest ship afloat at the time it entered service and was the second of three Olympic-class ocean liners operated by the White Star Line. It was built by the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast. Thomas Andrews, her architect, died in the disaster.
Daniel Cotton Wood tenía 74 años cuando The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing women's suffrage in America. The Nineteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution prohibits the states and the federal government from denying the right to vote to citizens of the United States on the basis of sex. It was adopted on August 18, 1920.
Daniel Cotton Wood falleció el 9 Jun 1934 a la edad de 87
Grave record for Daniel Cotton Wood (27 Jan 1847 - 9 Jun 1934), BillionGraves Record 1274751 Blackfoot, Bingham, Idaho, United States